Monday, September 3, 2012

Hermana Mercado's #5 Letter from Chile


Well, I feel like I'm finally getting into the groove of things now. There's still a lot I have to learn, but I feel like I now know how to progress to be the missionary that I want to be; and I'm not so scared anymore. I feel like I'm contributing.
 
Like on Sunday, we were going to have lunch with one of the Hermana's in the ward, but we hadn't picked a scripture to share yet (we always share a spiritual thought at lunch). Immediately, a scripture came to my mind, one I had been reading the other day. Hermana Nelson asked me why I thought we should share that scripture, and I said, "I don't know, it's just a good scripture!" But when we shared it after lunch, it turned out to be exactly what this Hermana needed to hear. Hermana Nelson explained that I had been the one to think of the scripture to share, and I hadn't known why we needed to share it. When this Hermana hugged me good-bye, she whispered in my ear "Thank you for listening to the spirit." I can't even describe the joy I felt in that moment, that I was able to be an instrument in the Lord's hands to bring some comfort to this Hermana. I'm glad I listened too.
 
The weather has suddenly got warmer. It seems that we are heading into spring now, although the other day it felt like summer. Man, was it hot!
 
Anyway, things are going well! Last Monday night we had a noche de hogar with Patricia, an investigator we've been teaching for a while, as well her two sons, Victor y Felipe. This was the first time we've been able to teach them all together, and the first time we've been able to teach Victor, and they were all very receptive. I'm just so happy to be teaching another family who can all find the joy that the gospel brings together! Afterwards, we played the game where you have a word on your forehead and you have to guess what it is by asking for clues from everyone else. And then of course we had refreshments! Hermana Nelson and I made oatmeal cookies, and Victor couldn't get over how "rico" they were! It was a good lesson.
 
And we helped a couple of people this last week with their English. Emerson, a 12 year old recent convert, needed help with a English book he had to read for school. It was one of these "pick your own mystery" books where you decide what clues to follow which takes you to different pages in the book. It was fun! We also "taught" a little English class to Paulina and Claudia, a couple of members in our ward (Paulina is less-active at the moment). They just want to improve their English, especially Paulina, who is having a friend from New York coming to visit.
 
So many more things to share and so little time! Just now things are going well and I know that things are only going to get better.
 
--Hermana Mercado

No comments:

Post a Comment