Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hermana Mercado's 15th Letter from Chile!

Chile is getting hot. It feels weird now that they have Christmas decorations and things up in the stores. I mean, this is the season when it's suppposed to be getting cold, right? 

Another random tid bit, the style here in Chile makes me laugh sometimes. People here wear jean and leather jackets. And fannypacks seem to be cool here too. Like you will see a grown man on a motorcycle wearing a fannypack. And the jeans women wear here are interesting. I'll have to take a picture one day, but the only way I can think of to describe it is that they have a thick elastic waist on top. That's probably a really bad description. 

Anyway, I gave my first talk in sacrament meeting this past week. Oh man I was so nervous. I basically had only one day to prepare. We were visiting la familia Calderon Friday, sharing with them a new initiative that our mission is implementing to get the members more involved in missionary work. We've been asked to share a paper called "Como Puedo Compartir El Evangelio" with all of the members. Well, the father, Dimas Calderon, is the second counselor in our Bisopric, and he asked me right then and there if I would be willing to give a talk about this initiative that Sunday. Fear instantly struck my heart, but of course I said yes. We were busy with citas the rest of the day, so I started to write my talk Saturday morning, and finished it Saturady night when we were done for the day. For my first talk, I think it went pretty well. Central message: Members have a lot of power to share the gospel, and when the missionaries and members work together in the work of the Lord, miracles can happen. Missionaries are willing and ready to teach, but we need help finding the people who are prepared to hear our message. And believe it or not, the people who are most prepared are members' family, friends, and neighbors. You have been preparing them with your example. Don't be afraid to share the gospel and invite these people to learn more.

--Hermana Mercado 

No comments:

Post a Comment