Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hermana Mercado's 16th Letter from Chile!


I finally received my Halloween package this past week that Mother had told me she had sent over a month ago. I don't know what's up with Chilean mail. Anyway, it was very entertaining to open the package because Hermana Herrera has never seen or even heard of some of the candy I received. It was the first time she had tried a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup or an Almond Joy. When she picked up the fun size packet of peanut M&M's and felt how many were inside, she was like, "What is this?! This thing only has like 5 cosas in here!" Oh my goodness! I burst out laughing right then and there! Oh the joy of fun size packets. 
 
Speaking of Halloween, the other day when we were knocking doors, we found a family that let us in because they wanted help getting rid of the spirits that are in their house. Some people in Chile can be very superstitious. Yes, they say they have ghosts in their house. But, besides that, they seem interested in learning what we believe. We've taught them how to pray, and have started to explain to them about the priesthood so that one day the elders can come over to give their house a blessing. But we've explained to them that, for the blessing to work, they need to have faith. They admit that their faith isn't that strong, but they seem like they have the desire to increase their faith. We've given them a Book of Mormon to start reading. It will be interesting to see how things progress. I'll let you know if I see any ghosts. 
 
And happy thanksgiving! I know I'm late, but I thought I'd say it anyway. Sadly, there is no Thanksgiving here in Chile. I missed my Arizona family a lot that day. I'm sure the day was full of delicious food, love and fun! We stayed in our house most of the day that day. Hermana Herrera had a really bad headache, but she's better now! 
 
And Sunday we had our primary program! It was so cute! We helped to pin little HLJ (aka CTR) shields on everyone as they came into the sacrament meeting.
That day we also visited Graciela, a menos activa we found knocking doors. She taught us to make pan amasado. I wasn't very good at kneading out the dough in the way she was showing us. She and Hermana Herrera had a good laugh at my clumsiness. The people here forgive me for my inadequacies in the kitchen because I'm a gringa and don't know any better.  
 
This is the last week of this change. I'm pretty sure I'll be staying in Nueva San Martin, but we never know! I hope I get to stay. We've already been invited to members homes to celebrate Christmas and New Years!  It's going to be great!
 
--Hermana Mercado 

No comments:

Post a Comment