Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hermana Mercado's 10th letter from Chile

We had a rainy Conference weekend here in Chile, but it was still awesome! They showed General Conference in our stake building (our ward building is also the stake building) in Spanish, of course, but they also had it playing in English in one of the separate rooms for us English-speaking missionaries. 

It was so good! I think watching General Conference with a bunch of missionaries is probably one of the funniest things ever. I'm excited for the Tucson, Arizona Temple! And oh my goodness, we were freaking out when President Monson made the announcement about the age change for the missionaries. Girls can now go at 19?! Oh my goodness!!! Changing the age for both the boys and the girls I think is really inspired. More people will be going on missions, especially more women, and I think that is going to bless the church enormously. Not only in having more missionaries to share the gospel, but giving women and future mothers the opportunity to get the best spiritual education in the world. This will definitley strengthen families. 

My favorite talks had to have been President Uchtdorf's and Elder Holland's. I needed President Uchtdorf's reminder that we can choose to be happy every day. And oh my goodness, I love Elder Holland. Before he started to speak, one of our Elders said, "Are you ready for this?" His talks always pack a spiritual punch. And I am definitely committed to being a disciple of Christ forever because I love the Savior.

Andres came to General Conference! He came to part of the second session on Saturday and the first session on Sunday. He got to hear Elder Holland and the prophet one right after the other! And he loved it! And it was actually, Saturday after General Conference when we were sitting down and talking with Pamela and Andres about what they had liked about General Conference that I had my first "aha!" moment of, "Wait a second, I understand what these people are saying!" It was the first time where I felt like I was not only comprehending the general topic of conversation, but I was also understanding the little details. It felt so great! And I know it's because of Lord. I've only been here for a little over 2 months, and I know I couldn't be understanding these people that quickly without help. 

So what were your favorite talks in General Conference?! If you missed General Conferece, don't worry, you can watch it at (Mother, correct me if I'm wrong) gc.lds.org.

The Church is true, I love you all, and the work marches on!

--Hermana Mercado

No comments:

Post a Comment